Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Adventure 26

Microsoft Office 2007 Sucks

Why do people rave about the exciting new Microsoft Office 2007? Because they are morons! Office 2007 is singularly the shittiest suite of software I have seen. Hold it - before you laugh me off as some linux geek - I am not. I still use MS Office 2003 and prior versions (whose features I have grown used to ). And I haven't figured out how to use either vi or emacs!

So whats so shitty about Office 2007?

  • Microsoft has shown scant respect for users who got accustomed with their old suite. This new one has too many buttons all over the place. Its one hell of a pain in the ass trying to find the print button, or for that matter any formatting button in the applications.
  • Excel 2007 sucks harder than the average DPS student. Its so shitty that I feel like banging the monitor every time I see a graph plotted by it. The default graphs are just plain ugly. Its hard to format graphs. The axis tickmarks and their labels are horrid. The list goes on and on and on...
  • Word 2007 blows like the answer in the wind. One would have expected those geniuses at Microsoft to introduce a simple form of equation numbering atleast now! Also, what about some pdf generating feature (even the shittier OpenOffice Writer has that feature!).
  • Forget about PowerPoint. I convert my presentations to pdf format anyway. Who wants to risk having all the fonts distorted and pictures skewed due to compatibility issues!
  • I don't use Outlook. I used to use Thunderbird a long time ago, but nowadays I am content checking mail on the web.
  • Is Internet Explorer a part of the Office suite? I couldn't care less... been ages since I last saw it; just use it to recharge my cellphone online, since my bank is probably run by some Pagalguy members, who attended MBA classes wearing red blazers and purple ties, who have never heard of Firefox, and probably never will.
I hope Microsoft buys Yahoo! That way both those shitty companies will end up screwing up each other's happiness. Now is the time for all of you out there to see the light and migrate to Gmail or AOL. Keep your yahoo accounts to subscribe to those newsletters which you wouldn't open unless you are your company's system administrator. Yahoomail is anyway slower than Indian Postal Services many a time. And before you accuse me of being some Google freak as well, I exhort you to never log onto Orkut again - unless they disable the mass scrapping feature and allow unfettered access into each and every photo album and scrapbook. Till then, go to Facebook, where you can spank each other, throw sheep, become a biting zombie or just buy virtual handcuffs and Teddy Bears. However, if you are in IISc, just be content browsing scientific literature, because India's premier research organisation, breeding ground for future Nobel laureates, Turing awardees, Fields medalists and Bhatnagar awardees, just cannot muster enough bandwidth for you any longer! Amen...

6 comments:

Rajat said...

Yeah 2k7 sucks big time - too crowded. Needless to say, I don't have it on my lappie (I use OO). But it is typically installed on all univ. comps.

Peeleraja said...

i dont like OOO too much either; their spreadsheet is far worse than excel. for spreadsheets gnumeric is what i use (it has many bugs but has the potential to displace excel, since look and feel is far superior). i use OOO impress for presentations sometimes, but always export to pdf. i was forced to use word 2k7 recently to fill up a few forms that had been saved in the docx format. btw, any idea if any other software can open 2k7 formats?

Chand said...

Yep, finding a button in those messy toolbars is very painful. Was recently forced to "buy" MS Office.. ah!!

Peeleraja said...

glad to see people agree! everyone around seems to swear by the shitbox of a product (i thought i was the only one who hated it). especially the new excel makes me want to puke - the graphs are positively hideous. hope i never have to use it much

Bhatta. said...

"Excel 2007 sucks harder than the average DPS student..."
LOL!

simplypsychics said...

Great blog love the post keep up the good work.... I'll be back....

Please check out my website Phone Psychic Reading